MyTicket blamed for Avon Buses sudden collapse

Posted by Chris Peat on | No Comments
MyTicket blamed for Avon Buses sudden collapse Pic courtesy of David Cole

Birkenhead-based Avon Buses ceased operations with immediate effect on 5 October 2018.

A statement from the defunct operator appearing online and in local newspapers identified the introduction of Merseytravel’s MyTicket as the main reason behind the decision to cease operations.

The statement claimed that before the day ticket was instated, 80% of all cash ticket sales were to adults. The remaining 20% were for young people. In the year 2017 to 2018 adult ticket sales had reduced to 37% with young people’s tickets at 9%, according to the statement. The remaining 54% of tickets were MyTickets. It claimed this has effectively halved the operation’s revenue from adult tickets, having a ‘massive negative effect’ on its revenues.

The company was considered the largest independent operator in the Wirral, with a 35-strong fleet. It provided services in Merseyside and Cheshire.

Arriva was able to step in and provide a limited service on Avon services 10A, 83A and 122. Stagecoach announced on Twitter that after the ‘sudden collapse’ of Avon Buses it is operating service 22 from Monday 8 October on the same timetable.

Attempts by Bus and Coach Buyer to contact Avon were unanswered at the time of going to press.

 

Cookies

This site uses some unobtrusive cookies to store information on your computer, these are in place to ensure that you receive the best possible experience when using the Bus & Coach Buyer website.