First Glasgow unveils war memorial garden
First Glasgow has unveiled its new war memorial garden at its Caledonia depot paying tribute to former tram operators who lost their lives in the First World War.
The garden features four memorials including a freestanding monument dedicated to workers from the city’s Whitevale tram depot, surrounded by three plaques in memory of workers from the city’s Newlands, Dennistoun and Langside depots.
All four memorials are originally from Glasgow’s tram depots, which supported the operation of one of the largest tram networks in Britain at the time of the First World War. The first motorbuses were introduced in Glasgow in 1924 and gradually replaced trams until 1962, when the last Glasgow tram service operated.
The project was funded jointly by First Glasgow and the depot’s Unite union members.