Chesterfield’s bus anniversary trio
A procession of buses took to the streets of Chesterfield to celebrate three transport anniversaries.
It marked the centenary of bus travel in the area, as well as the golden jubilee of Stonegravels Depot and 25 years of Stagecoach in Chesterfield. The procession included a newly painted and refurbished modern vehicle in the former Chesterfield Transport green and cream livery of the 1960s and 70s.
On 11 April 1914, Chesterfield Corporation Tramways Department launched its first motor bus operation with a service to Grassmoor. It acquired its first vehicles with pneumatic tyres in 1924, its first double deckers in 1931 and its first diesel buses in 1936. The Corporation opened the Stonegravels depot in September 1964. Chesterfield Transport Ltd took over the fleet in October 1986 following the 1985 Transport Act and the colour scheme changed to blue, yellow and white.
Stagecoach first entered Chesterfield 25 years ago, when it took over East Midland Motor Services in 1989. It acquired Chesterfield Transport in July 1995 and transferred operation in the town to Stagecoach Yorkshire in 2006, still operating from the Stonegravels depot.